Thursday, July 2, 2015

Day 3: I'm in a New York State of Mind


WHOOOOOOOOO!

BEST CONCERT EVER....

Hello everyone from New York City, the city that never sleeps - which is why I am up at this ungodly hour writing this blog.

This morning I left San Francisco, sneaking out of my Bed and Breakfast at 5:30am. The stay had been lovely and I would recommend them for anyone visiting San Francisco. I did have their breakfast before I left, but after checking in and passing through the TSA checkpoint (they made me take off my shoes and gave me a pat down) I was hungry again. Plus. I knew the flight, being economy, wouldn't feed me and I wouldn't get a chance to eat until the concert.

So I bought a frozen yogurt and berry blend from a shop. It was yummy. Plus a strawberry smoothie. In some way, I am telling myself I made healthy decisions - but the sugar rush tells me otherwise.

The flight itself was uneventful, I slept most of the way. Arriving in New Jersey (yes, I arrived in New Jersey then caught the train to New York) was exciting though, seeing New York City's famous skyline on the horizon. And all the smog. I knew this was going to be fun.

My accommodation is wonderful. Whilst Keith, my host who is a professional drag queen, is out of town - his friend and his boyfriend have both welcomed me into the apartment and Daisy, his pug, has been nothing but friendly (although she won't share her toys). The place is a couple of blocks from Madison Square Garden, which was good because I arrived at 6:15 and needed to be walking in the doors of Madison Square Garden at 7pm.

The concert itself was incredible. There was no opening act. I was sitting next to a lovely German family and was enjoying a conversation with them when the lights dimmed and out came Billy Joel. He was hilarious - as shown in the first video - but also still can sing all of his songs perfectly. Although some of the high notes had to be sung by his band instead.

This event was particularly special as it was his 65th concert at Madison Square Garden. This breaks Elton John's record. So we all received a neat little banner, they raised a larger version of it midway through the concert and then Billy Joel dedicated a song to Elton, his long time friend. AND IT WAS AWESOME.


Other highlights included the performance of For The Longest Time - which had beautiful harmonies, the whole crowd singing Always a Woman and Piano Man, and Billy playing the guitar for We Didn't Start the Fire and then juggling the microphone stand through Still Rock And Roll To Me. He tossed it across the stage to one of the stage hands before concluding with my personal favourite: Only The Good Die Young.



At the end of the concert, we spilled out onto the streets. There was a few people that had way too much to drink and were still mentally in the concert - you could hear them screaming for Billy a block away. I made it home and finally got a chance to reply to my emails from the day. Going to sleep puts me only in one place:


No comments:

Post a Comment