Monday, July 6, 2015

Day 7: New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of...

Last full day in New York City. It's gone by so quickly.

I enjoyed a sleep-in today - without much left to do, I don't need to be up to be someone the moment things open. The same will no doubt happen tomorrow.

I started my day heading to Times Square and noticed that Sunday's run different show times than usual. Unfortunately, given that CoCo De'Ball (my host Keith's name in drag) had her show starting at 6pm that I would be cutting it a bit fine to go to a show and then to her's. I looked for tomorrow and even though I don't leave town til 10:45pm, other than Wicked, anything else that is running (not much does on Broadway on a Monday) starts at 8pm so it would finish at 10:30pm which is cutting it a bit fine. Since I've already seen Wicked in Sydney, I won't be going to that either.

But back onto my day.

I decided to head to the American Museum of Natural History. The exterior of the building is incredible. I was particularly impressed. Walking into the lobby also blew me away with their dinosaur fossils. I was very excited to get inside and see more.

The facade of the museum

Statue of Theodore Roosevelt - the museum is part a memorial to him, a nature enthusiast

The dinosaurs were fighting in the lobby 
This one had a baby next to it
After walking into the displays - I was disappointed. They had a display on birds of the world and one of them was an Australian display. On the grass hills of Western Sydney. And just little things were off - the kookaburra was too small compared to the eastern Rosella and they had a big group of emus in the background who didn't look right. That was only the start.

I went to a geology exhibit, which explained earthquakes and the impact climate has on the rock structures of the earth. There was a section on the hole in the ozone layer which claimed it was still growing. But I thought - and I did some googling to check and I was right - the hole has been stable, tending to shrink, since 2006. So that cast doubt into a lot of what the museum was saying. 

Incredibly skinny kookaburra - very small too

Natural History Illustrations of Rock Wallaby and Tassie Tiger 

Natural History Illustration of a Rhino - done by someone who had never seen a Rhino and published in a book

A weather rock from Antarctica

Model of the moon!

Look I've lost weight! (Weight on the Moon in pounds)

Meteorite - one of the largest iron ones found
Disappointed in the museum and out of time, I went back home to get ready for the show. Had a bit of trouble getting back on time when one of the trains didn't show up, but I made it to leave for the bar with CoCo as part of her groupies. She looked absolutely gorgeous last night - dressed up as a modern day 4th of July Marilyn Monroe. The show itself was great - funny, loud, over the top. Two hours of lip syncing and monologue and basically being the life of the party. Definitely would recommend going to see, at least once - every Sunday at Boots and Saddles from 6pm-8pm (4pm-6pm is another great drag queen FiFi Dubois - go early and see both)

Obvious shameless plug is obvious.

Anyway, after a while listening to karoke and chatting, CoCo took me to Stonewall - the place where the gay rights movement in America started. It's a beautiful old pub downstairs and upstairs just your typical bar. She later admitted she didn't really want to go there herself, but thought I would want to see it and I should. And I did. Didn't even know it was a thing. Glad I went though - little piece of neat history. 

She is just too funny and gorgeous!
It was a really late night, so I'll be sleeping in again tomorrow. Planning to go see the Brooklyn Bridge and maybe Guggenheim museum before getting on a bus to Niagara Falls. I'm sad to leave, but excited to find new adventures.

Packing will be fun though - hope everything fits again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment